Welcome folks today in this blog post we will be building a
realtime tic tac toe game in both modes
multiplayer in react.js using
pubnub sdk. All the full source code of the application is given below.
In order to get started we need to create a brand new
github repository as shown below to initialize a new
A React implementation of Tic Tac Toe for one or two players.
- Sign up for a free PubNub account to get your Pub/Sub API keys.
- You need to enable presence to detect the number of players in the channel. This prevents having more than two players in a given channel. Go to your PubNub Admin Dashboard, click on the Demo Project App, or create a new app for this project, and click on Keyset. Scroll down to Application add-ons and toggle the Presence switch to on. Keep the default values the same.
And also you can
clone the github repository as shown below
git clone https://github.com/ocastroa/react-tictactoe.git
- Open the project in your favorite text editor.
- Go to App.js and replace ‘ENTER_YOUR_PUBLISH_KEY_HERE’ and ‘ENTER_YOUR_SUBSCRIBE_KEY_HERE’ with the keys you got from Step 1.
- Install the dependencies by running the script that’s in the root directory. Make sure to make the script executable first.
The directory structure will look like this as shown below
After this when you start the
react.js application your game will start and the screenshot will look like this
- ✅ Done. Display the location for each move in the format (col, row) in the move history list.
- ✅ Done. Bold the currently selected item in the move list.
- ✅ Done. Rewrite Board to use two loops to make the squares instead of hardcoding them.
- ✅ Done. Add a toggle button that lets you sort the moves in either ascending or descending order.
- ✅ Done. When someone wins, highlight the three squares that caused the win.
- ✅ Done. When no one wins, display a message about the result being a draw.
- ✅ Done. Add the button to re-start the game.